Made fresh on the island of Lesvos in Greece. Mr. Papayiannides uses only peak of the season produce in his tomato sauce. The addition of ouzo, made in the same village, takes this sauce over the top.
Papayiannides Tomato & Olive & Ouzo Sauce is featured in both our Feature Recipe and our Double-Up Recipe (seen below)!
Ratatouille with Chick Peas
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded & diced
- 3 tomatoes, cored & diced
- 1 jar Tomato & Olive & Ouzo Sauce
- 2 Japanese eggplants, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- ¼ cup parsley roughly chopped
- ¼ cup basil roughly chopped
- 1 can of chick peas, drained
- 4 sprigs thyme – fresh
- 1 tsp. salt & black pepper to taste
In a heavy bottomed pot & sauté garlic over medium heat until very fragrant. Reduce heat to low, add onions & bell peppers. Cover with a lid & let the onions wilt, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Remove the lid & sauté the vegetables until all the water released has evaporated & the onions start to brown. Add tomatoes, cover with the lid, & simmer until tomatoes have released a lot of liquid. Add tomato sauce, eggplant, zucchini, chick peas, parsley, basil, thyme, salt & pepper.
Stir to combine,cover with a lid & cook until tender about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the vegetables are soft, remove the lid & let the ratatouille continue to simmer until the excess liquid has evaporated & the stew is thick. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste & serve.