We hope you all had an excellent winter holiday season and had tons of opportunities to cook! This month’s box will help keep you inspired through the tough blah months ahead by feeling your pantry with unexpected delights and gourmet go-tos! Keep the resolution to eat better food this year!
In this month’s box:
- Pomegranate Molasses is used in our feature recipe! Pomegranate molasses is a sweet-tart reduction of pomegranate juice commonly used in the cuisines of the Middle East, India and Armenia. It is made by extracting the juice of pomegranate seeds, called arils. Boiling it down until most of the water has evaporated. The resulting syrup is thick & purplish-brown in color and intensely rich and flavorful. Tangy & sweet, pomegranate molasses is one ingredient you can have some fun with! Cocktails anyone?.
- Kitchen Table Bakers Crisps, the cracker made entirely out of cheese! These remarkable All Parmesan Gourmet Wafer Crisps are able to stand on their own, be used as a chip for dipping, as a base for a canapé or with a fine glass of wine.
- Urban Accents Mushroom Truffle Gravy Starter, produces a rich gravy with multiple wild mushroom varieties accented with onion, garlic and black pepper. It’s a quick and delectable way to complement any meal. Just add butter, flour (gluten free flour works as well) and stock to make three cups of rich gravy. Serve with simple oven roasted chicken & roasted potatoes.
- Vianova Garlic Olive Oil. Organic extra virgin olive oil from Italy has the mellow flavor, fragrance, and subtle sweetness of roasted garlic. Use as a dipping oil with bread & your favorite balsamic vinegar. Drizzle over vegetable, potato, and pasta dishes. We know it won’t take long for you to find inspiration in this bottle! (note: Vianova is the Missing Ingredient Creative Director’s favourite brand of flavoured oils – once you’ve completed this bottle (and invariably you contact us to order more), consider adding a citrus bottle to your next order as well! :D)
- Maldon Salt in a perfect pinch tin (for your purse or desk!) Maldon has been producing the finest natural sea salt for the last 130 years. Salt as it should be, hand-harvested with the distinctive flaky texture and taste that lends a certain piquancy to virtually any dish. Ask any top chef about salt and they’ll almost certainly cite sea salt flakes from Maldon as their favourite. Good cooks of all kinds agree.
- Cachou Lajaunie is this month’s Meet the Maker feature!. Created in 1880 by a brilliant pharmacist from Toulouse, France, Mr. Leon Lajaunie, the famous little square pastille with licorice is still a success for its refreshing taste, its digestive properties and its soothing effect on sore throats. Indeed, the Toulouse pharmacist wished with this recipe to “freshen breath, strengthen gums, help digestion, fight against cough, etc.“, an idea that came from his patients complaining about their oral problems. Today, the famous pastille is still manufactured in Toulouse by five dedicated employees who cook, taste, cut, sort and package the candies. After more than a century of existence, the recipe developed by Leon Lajaunie is still the same, followed scrupulously to maintain its authenticity. The small canary yellow metal box was created by Mr. Caire, a watchmaker of L’Isle-Jourdain, modeled after a pocket watch. Its shape and material were changed only once in the 30’s when metal was requisitioned. The box was then rectangular and made of cardboard.